The Rules page is one of the most important pages and needs to be visible and linked to on several pages. Last time users complained about the page being too difficult to find. It also needs to be structured better this time.
The most important part is the Rules which are detailed below (need to be updated with dates). This includes the Timeline information which should already be baked into the banner images and on the Home/News pages.
We can include the Judging Criteria below the Rules for those who are interested in learning more about how their games will be judged.
Please make sure to read through all the Rules before beginning your game entry. Breaking the rules can result in penalties or even disqualification.
- Games must be complete, started no earlier than [starting date], and created by you (unless you have permission to post the game). No exceptions!
- Games Length: Judges will only be required to judge a game for 1 hour if it passes the screening stage. As such, any game over 1 hour will only be judged on its first hour of play.
- You must have the right to use all assets, tools, and anything else involved in the creation of the game, such as the engine/software, visual resources, music, and so forth. Pre-existing assets not created specifically for the contest entry are allowed as long as the actual game was not started before [starting date]. Please note that some resource creators will consider your game to be commercial due to the inclusion of prizes, so make sure you ask permission if you are uncertain!
- Games must be finished and submitted by [ending date]. No extensions will be given. We recommend uploading a day in advance to avoid any unfortunate accidents or difficulties.
- There is no limit on team size; you can work alone, or with a large team. Teams will have to split the prizes between themselves as they see fit. The IGMC team will NOT be responsible for the splitting of prizes. We will award only to the person who submitted the game.
- Each person may be directly involved in up to two submissions. This allows you to, among other things, work on a team while making your own solo project. If a team uses your resources but you did not actually work on the development of a game, then it won’t count towards your two game limit. If you are ONLY doing commissions for a submission, you are not considered part of the team for these rules. Do remember that all commissions will be required to be made within the [July 7th-August 7th] timeline.
- All files required to play the game must be included in the download. This includes graphics, music files, readmes, and so forth.
- No 18+ content: games with pornographic/extreme violence will be disqualified. These games should be playable by teenagers. If you are unsure if your content qualifies as adult-only, it’s best to leave it out or ask our support team.
- Plagiarism, copying the work of other contestants, and other forms of cheating are forbidden. Viruses, etc. will disqualify a game instantly. Let’s make this a clean and fair competition for everyone!
- Everyone involved in a project should be credited unless they consent otherwise. This includes the creators of resources (graphics, music, scripts, etc.)!
- The game must be made in an actual game engine, and not a map editor/mod of an existing game. Rom hacks and games that run on emulators are not allowed.
- Games must be submitted via this platform and have an active download available. If the game is browser-based, a link to the game must be provided. Games may NOT be updated once the deadline has been reached.
- Games must be in English. You are welcome to have translations in any language you see fit, but the entry submitted to judges must be in English.
- Games must be playable on Windows (at least in compatibility mode for Windows XP, Vista, or 7).
- Winners who do not want their prize can request that it be given to the person/team with the next highest score.
- The judges and contest hosts reserve the right to disqualify or ban any game or person for reasons including but not limited to the violation of these rules. Judges' decisions are final. Judges and contest runners reserve the right to add to these rules for clarification purposes.
- Restrictions on age and nationality are subject to the contestant's local, state, and/or national laws. No purchase necessary. Must be at least 13 years of age or older to register and submit entries, subject to the submitter’s local laws.
- Prizes will be delivered electronically via the e-mail address associated with the user who submitted the game on this platform. Winners will be responsible for all taxes and fees associated with their prize package.